Friday, March 19, 2010

First Step Second

As the second day of The WhaleHawk Diaries comes to a crest, I'm reminded of a trip I once took with my man servant Crespin. I'd like to share that entry with you now...

July 6th, 1995 -
Last night I could not sleep. Kid n Play have recently disbanded along with Concrete Blonde.
My world is so shaky, I can hardly say this trip to Florida will clear the trappings of my troubled soul. Crespin, my loyal and crippled man servant, has reassured me the trip will be a brilliant tonic. Crespin relies heavily on the crutch, and as such could not help me load the swamp buggy with the provisions I had secured for our trip to the Everglades. Many times I had damned the mother who birthed him, however I also saw in Crespin an extreme sadness. He had never learned how to properly behave while sneezing, and would overtly cover up this fact with random citations from adult fiction novels, mostly involving him being ravaged by a pirate or many pirates at once. As I loaded a slab of clotted cream atop our swamp buggy, he was preparing to sneeze and thus regale me with a tale of a captain attempting to circumnavigate his own personal Horn of Africa. I immediately scolded him for his lack of imagery and general foul thinking and he looked at me as I put the last Snuggie in storage and said, "Please. Remember me not for what I did, but the character in which I did it." I ruminated on this and then slapped his face.
I pray that the fleet of my soul will find fairer winds in the tropical climate of Florida.

Yours Truly,
WhaleHawk

No comments: